Welcome to my Portrait page!
More than just a Portrait caught in time, I have always loved and been intrigued by how some portraits capture so much more than “just the looks” of a subject – but the personal character within – a hidden beauty that is found within our moments. I strive to capture a living life upon my easel. It is a treat to share this joy with you! I love working in Charcoals, Watercolors, and Oils. Art lessons offered year round. ShawnaLee loves creating sketches at events – please inquire!
UPDATE: Pricing for 2024 is in process. The prices on my website have been fixed for over twelve years! With rising prices for quality artist materials, prices for 2024 will be increased a modest amount. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
- Send your ideas & selection of photographs to ShawnaLee: email@example.com
- Choose the size & media that best suit your needs!
- First payment: Your portrait begins after we both agree on subject, size & media. A first non-refundable payment gets your work started. Balance is due when you’re thrilled with the portrait and prior to pick-up or Shipping. Your satisfaction is guaranteed, or the portrait doesn’t leave the art studio! Check made out to: ShawnaLee Kwashnak OR Venmo: @Andrew-Kwashnak
How long will it take?
Depending on Studio volume, dry media takes about two weeks from start to finish from the time all references and deposit are received and agreed upon; orders made near holidays may take longer due to studio volume. Oil paintings can take anywhere from 3 weeks for very small to several months for much larger ones. Please order in advance to avoid delays due to studio volume.
What is needed to create the portrait?
Each portrait is as individual at the subject(s)! Most portraits only require a handful of your photograph references to complete. Others, such as Oil paintings, benefit greatly from a color study/photo session with the subject if possible, or in some cases, multiple photographs if available.
What if I only have black and white photos?
ShawnaLee is still able to create a great looking portrait from your black and white photos! The artist will ask you for the information needed and will look to the masters of yesteryear for further studio questions!
How are the portraits made?
The Old-Fashioned Traditional way!!! Every Portrait is created entirely by hand in the timeless traditional way using quality traditional art materials so that you and your family will enjoy your portrait for years to come!
DRAWINGS: Pets or Homes
Drawings come with a complimentary neutral mat in a protective sleeve. Additional pets 50% more. Add pastel for color additional 20%.
2024 Price examples:
- 11×14″ single subject: $350 + tax.
- 12×16″ two subjects: $600 + tax.
All drawings will be created on white or off-white artist quality archival paper. Each portrait comes with a complimentary neutral mat in a protective sleeve.
Painted on quality artists linen that is either pre-stretched or mounted on a hardboard for your convenience. Framing not included. For additional pets or for a montage of several pets, please inquire for custom pricing.
- 8×10″ single pet: $700 + tax.
- 11×14″ single pet: $2000 + tax.
- 12×16″ up to two pets: $2500 + tax
Pet Portraits in WATERCOLORS
Painted on quality watercolor paper. Comes with a complimentary neutral mat in a protective sleeve.
- 8×10″ single pet: $400 + tax
- 11×14″ single pet: $1200 + tax
- 12×16″ two pets: $1500 + tax
PORTRAITS of Children:
Highly detailed and finished Charcoals that capture the essence of your child! These portraits may be created on white, neutral gray or warm art papers. Fees are pretax. Vignettes only. Full figure or addition of torso/hands is 50% more. Portraits are created from your supplied photographs along with photographer’s copyright release.
- 14×11″ $1000 + tax
- 16×12″ $1200 + tax
- 20×16″ $3000 + tax
Two Children (or one person and one pet):
- 16×12″ $1500 + tax
- 20×16″ $5000 + tax
- other sizes available
These highly finished and detailed Oil Paintings are created from a combination of studio sittings (if possible) for accurate color notes in addition to photographs for referencing. Additional subjects/hands/background 50% more. Pretax; single subject prices starting at:
Miniature Impressions: SPECIAL STUDIO OFFER:
These little impressionistic oil painting gems are painted very impressionistic to keep the sought after fresh look! Drawing lines and brushstrokes set these painting sketches apart and bring the human element to the forefront. Glazes of color bring them to life. These little paintings add flair to any home decor and capture your special portraiture moment for generations to come! From your supplied photo references & created in the studio similar to the “Amy Series” painting sketches shown above. About 2-3 weeks depending on studio volume. These prices are for pets or people.
- 4×4 to 5×5″ (One subject) $300 + tax
- 8×6″ (Two subjects) $400 + tax
For ALL Portraits: Please provide ShawnaLee at least three of your favorite photographs – of the highest quality possible – along with your ideas of what you would like! Please include a few words about the subject such as name and personality traits or important features as this is valuable information for the artist as she works. Before beginning, ShawnaLee will give you recommendations along with a fee quote specific to your needs. Your portrait begins once a first payment has been received.
*For Home Portraits: Please provide ShawnaLee with several photos of the home from your desired point of reference. Supporting photos will show details not easily seen from the main reference such as a close up of the front entry, special features, and landscaping. Of Utmost importance, please provide accurate color information because photographs distort color! Travel/photography is an additional fee – typically $100/session. Studies may be purchased after your commission is fulfilled and satisfied.
For Commercial Illustration: Sketches and drawings may be commissioned/licensed to fulfill your commercial needs. Fees will be based upon the scope of your project, the area of use, timing and number of uses planned and timeline of expected use. ShawnaLee W. Kwashnak retains full copyright of all of her work, unless specifically purchased for an additional fee. Use of work (without prior written permission & agreement) beyond prior agreement is considered theft and will impose fees and/or legal action.
Certificate of Authenticity: Your artwork will come with a certificate of authenticity signed and dated by the artist. This important document should stay with the artwork! It also contains vital information about recommended care and instructions for allowable sharing – such as sharing your work via social media requires a tag to “@Portraits by ShawnaLee” and website: www.shawnalee.com.
HELPFUL INFORMATION for Commissions:
- Photography necessary towards your portrait begins at $100/session.
- Professional Photographer’s photos: If you provide a photo from a professional photographer, ShawnaLee will need a copyright release in writing from the photographer in order to reference the photo. ShawnaLee will make sure the photographer is properly credited. Thank you for respecting artist’s copyright laws!
- Limited Photos available: If you only have a limited # of photographs available, please supply the artist with as many as possible so that she can familiarize herself with the subject.
- Taking subject photos for your portrait: Choose evening hours when the lighting is soft; If indoors, please take photo near a window without a flash. Be sure the light falls onto the face of your subject (not from behind!). Get on eye level with your subject. Please look for clear eye details & your favorite expressions!
- Resolution: please be sure your photos are at least 300dpi. A photograph that is low quality does not provide the needed information. If that is all you have, let ShawnaLee review it anyway.
STUDIO POLICIES 2023
- Portrait Commitment: Once ShawnaLee understands your needs and has the photographic references, a first payment is required to begin your portrait. Details will be written and shared via email and or in pdf form. Fees do not include taxes, photography, framing or shipping & handling or travel if necessary.
- Your Satisfaction: Full payment is due upon your complete approval of the final portrait and prior to pick up. The artist will share a photo of the original art through email it directly to you for your approval. Your valuable feedback is an important part of the portrait process and up to two minor adjustments will be gladly made to your specifications. Additional adjustments, if reasonable/possible, will be made based on studio fee of $100 PER edit; If you have additional photos found that may aid the portrait, please send them along for referencing….. However, Changes in SELECTED MAIN reference materials AFTER work has begun constitute a new portrait agreement. Due to the custom hand rendered nature of portraiture, the First payment is non-refundable and may NOT be applied towards another portrait.
- Timing may vary from 2 weeks to several months, so please plan in advance if you have a special deadline in mind. ShawnaLee will let you know when she is beginning your piece and keep you posted to the progress. Please be patient if unplanned circumstances interfere with deadlines. The goal is to provide extraordinary portraiture to you!
- Pick up or Delivery: You may choose to pick up your portrait at the studio, or it may be shipped to you via Priority mail for an additional fee.
Artwork by ShawnaLee
- All sketches or drawings are Certified to be hand-drawn by the artist herself on professional quality art paper with a complimentary mat, packaged in a protective sheet. All materials used are acid free. You will receive a Certificate of Authenticity. Anyone with a work of art created by ShawnaLee prior to June 2019 may request a Certificate of Authenticity for their work. Please send a SASE.
- Paintings are hand painted (no computer printing!)** on quality stretched canvas/linen. Prices are for single subjects with neutral /soft backgrounds.
- Additional subjects, sizes, or detailed backgrounds are available; please inquire.
- *Plus CT State Tax.
- Photography, live sittings, travel and framing not included. Fees listed are approximate and are subject to change.
**NO COMPUTER PRINTING! I mention this as I have become aware of several online portrait venues that claim that they hand-paint their portraits. Please be aware that these companies may ONLY be adding paint to photo-shopped and printed works OR creating a “painting” through the use of electronic means and printing your finished piece and THEN dabbing a little paint on top of the printout. Please be an informed art investor and ask how your work will be created and what materials will be used. There is a HUGE difference between the quality of a traditionally hand rendered piece verses printed art!!!!! All artwork by ShawnaLee is done entirely by hand on, and with, actual artist materials and created with expert skills that only come from a lifetime of dedication to the arts. You have my guarantee!
I Certify on my honor that I create my art work in the old fashioned way – by hand with authentic artist materials! Come watch a demonstration and see for yourself, or take an art class with me!
Please inquire about Signature Worthy Fine Art Giclee reproductions of your commission! This is a wonderful way of sharing your portrait with your family and even your local historical society!
Giclees pricing starts at $350 for the first printing of an 11×14″ giclee, and about $150 for each additional print. Please inquire for a quote to meet your specific needs.
ShawnaLee W. Kwashnak retains full rights to her work. No unauthorized use is permitted without written permission / licensing direct from the artist. Thank you for respecting artist’s work!
ShawnaLee Kwashnak 59 Bioski Rd., Middlebury CT 06762
firstname.lastname@example.org 203 598-0065